I love nice people. I love nice people so much, mostly because when someone goes out of their way to do something nice for you, it's like a nice little surprise. And I love surprises.
I was nominated for Liebster Award by a new friend of mine and fellow travel blogger, Hepcat Hannah. I had never heard of a Liebster Award, but I was honored for the nomination nonetheless. I dove into some research around the award and discovered that this award is given to bloggers by bloggers with the goal of highlighting new and small-time blogs in a pay-it-forward type of fashion. And that all sounds just dandy to me.
In order to truly be "nominated," I'll have to answer 11 of Hannah's questions for me. "Oh shucks, I just hate talking about myself!" said no blogger ever, so I'll happily take part in this Q&A.
1. Tell me about yourself. I'm from a small town in Ohio, where there's one gas station (closed on Sundays), one restaurant, one bar, one post office and six churches - and I decided to move to Los Angeles. I love it here but I also loved my small-town childhood. I work in public relations and blog, hike, nap, etc. in my free time. I've read every issue of National Geographic from front to back since December of 2013, and I've never seen the movie Frozen. You can find me in bed at 10:00 on weeknights because I'm probably getting up at 6:30 the next morning to head to the gym. I'll eat birthday cake-flavored anything.
2. What's your blog all about? I want to show people that you don't have to spend thousands of dollars and take off tons of vacation days to find a new place that's worth exploring, or have a memorable and valuable experience. I think exploring the world is important, but so is adventuring in our own backyards - and I aim to bring that mentality to my readers.
3. What do you love about blogging? I love to write. And while my job allows me to do a lot of that, it's rare that I get to use my own voice. Here I have no restraints in terms of subject matter, tone, syntax, word count, etc. - so I get to say what I want to say, how I want to say it. And sometimes people read it.
4. What is one goal you have for your blog in 2016? To gain some loyal readers and community members that aren't my mom and her boyfriend (love you guys).
5. What is the most adventurous thing you've ever done? I studied abroad in Ecuador to finish my Spanish minor in college. While I was there, I took a day trip to go canyoning with a few friends. Sometimes I still can't believe that I jumped, slid and rappelled down canyon waterfalls (into pools of 50-something degree water). Our canyoning trip was actually cut short because one of my friends was showing signs of hypothermia!
6. Where is your next trip? This May I'll be heading to good ol' New York, New York! I'll be there for a long weekend with some friends from high school - so stay tuned for that blog post and big-city weekend.
7. What is your spirit animal and why? Ohhh boy this is hard. I literally just took an online quiz to see what it would say - I got "tiger" - which like, yeah okay I'm glad I got a tiger an not like, a naked mole rat or something. So I'll go with tiger.
8. Favorite book? Man, this is also a hard one. I think I'd have to say Mudbound by Hillary Jordan. Few books have kept me up at night like that one.
9. Best meal you've eaten while traveling? This might be better titled, "Best meal you've eaten while traveling that you remember?" There are so many good meals I've had, but the one that always stays top-of-mind is the alpaca in rosemary sauce that I had in Peru - the meat is a little tough, but the sauce makes up for it, and anything that comes with yucca and plantains on the side is good with me.
10. Would you quit your job to travel for a year? Even if I was financially able to do this, I think at this point in my life, I'd still say no. Maybe if I did have the funds and I didn't truly enjoy my job, I could say yes - but right now, there's just too much to sacrifice.
11. What are the three things you can't travel without? Camera. Reading Material. Lip Balm.
SO NOW THAT I'VE TALKED ABOUT MYSELF, I'll nominate my 11:
- Cassidy from Jeplane Jean
- Hallie from Midwest Perspective
- Kelsey from Crocodile Adventures
- Sonja from Breadcrumbs Guide
- Danielle from Adventure Editorial
- Elaine from Trip Wellness
- Agnes from Backyard Destinations
- Allyson from Pushpin Dreams
- Cynthia from Every Footstep is an Adventure
- Lindsay from I've Been Bit!
- Golie from Go Far See
Were you nominated? Congrats! Here's what you do now:
- Accept the nomination by writing a blog post, and answer the 11 questions that I’ve picked for you.
- Come up with 11 of your own questions.
- Nominate 11 bloggers of your choice (newbies, please).
- Be sure to link back to the person who nominated you & thank them!
- And last, comment on your nominator’s Liebster Award post, and include the link to your own Liebster Award post.
The questions for the nominees:
1. Tell me about yourself
2. What’s your blog all about?
3. How did you get into blogging?
4. What's one long-term goal you have for your blow?
5. What is the craziest (and possibly dumbest?) thing you've ever done?
6. Where is your next trip?
7. Where is your favorite beach, and why is it your favorite?
8. Name five songs you think would be perfect for a travel playlist.
9. You've just gotten back to your hometown from a 2-week trip. What do you eat first?
10. Where is your dream destination?
11. Cocktail of choice?
That's all folks, thanks for playing. Let's spread the blogosphere love!